Tuesday 13 March 2012

Evaluation Question 3

3) What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
The media institution that would distribute my magazine would be IPC Media. This is because it is a tight-knit institution that focuses on its magazines in the UK. It distributes NME magazine which would be a big help to the rise of my product as they have experience in bringing a genre-specific magazine into the masses. They are a subsidiary company of Time Inc. so will have a lot of income that can be put into my product to ensure it is the top quality and gets all the promotion it deserves. They also distribute many other genres of magazines, such a sport, lifestyle and fashion; this means they are vastly experienced in all areas. I think IPC are a good choice for my product because the like to invest in magazines that are unique and niche, such as NME magazine, this is where my magazine fits in. Also they don’t have any current magazines that come near to my genre of music, so it would be a good investment for them because my magazine will help them compete with the already popular rock magazines like Kerrang! And Rock Sound. I think the future of magazines is not good at the moment because of the internet, as we see many music websites that allows us to access the news quicker and for free! This means that there is not really any need to go out and buy magazines. Only the real strong magazine buyers will carry on. I know that IPC have tried to move forward with this development by using the internet to give insights into the issues of NME each week. By either releasing the covers every week, or by sometimes providing a digital version of the magazine that you can buy off their website. This is a good way to combat the rise of the internet, but to still produce a magazine and make money from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment